I'm a teacher at heart- always have been.
I'm also a major bookworm.
So put those two things together- one of my favorite things to do is read with kids and help children learning to read and watching as children discover the joy of books.
The children at LCH (the orphanage I work at in India) do not get to know this joy like I did.
I had a never ending supply of books. At home, at school or at the library, I could always find a book to read.
These kids don't have that. They don't have a library that they can go to and check out books. They don't have books at school that they can read (don't get me started about schools in India, I can't wait till we can get these kids out of the school that they are in and into our own school).
I don't want my trip this summer to be all about me. I want to give something to the kids.
I want to give them books.
I want to help introduce them to the worlds that they will find in books.
I want them to be able to read books.
So...
In addition to the support that I am raising to go on this trip at all, I am going to be raising additional money to buy books for the children.
The goal is to build a small library in the girls' house. They already have some books, but need more!
We need to first buy a cabinet to be the library and then we will fill it up! With books in Hindi and in English.
Think how much these kids will learn reading and practicing their English!
We need at least $150 to buy a cabinet and then everything beyond that will go towards books.
So here's what I'm going to ask of you...
Can you give me $5 so that I can buy a child a book?
Just $5.
Skip your latte one day and instead help a child learn to read.
And if you are willing, can I ask one more thing from you?
Will you ask your friends to give $5?
I'm going to be asking everyone that I know (sorry if I get annoying haha). I'm going to ask my classmates, my friends, and anyone who will sit still long enough for me to talk to them.
Will you ask your friends? Will you ask the people in your classes (professors typically don't mind if you make an announcement)?
Will you help me?
If you want to donate, there are two ways: 1. Use my PayPal button and 2. Send it straight to the Crosspoint office. The address for Crosspoint is:
Oh! And if you missed this post about the kids at the orphanage and the work that God is doing there, please go read it! I think it got overshadowed by the scarves haha.
I'm also a major bookworm.
So put those two things together- one of my favorite things to do is read with kids and help children learning to read and watching as children discover the joy of books.
The children at LCH (the orphanage I work at in India) do not get to know this joy like I did.
I had a never ending supply of books. At home, at school or at the library, I could always find a book to read.
These kids don't have that. They don't have a library that they can go to and check out books. They don't have books at school that they can read (don't get me started about schools in India, I can't wait till we can get these kids out of the school that they are in and into our own school).
I don't want my trip this summer to be all about me. I want to give something to the kids.
I want to give them books.
I want to help introduce them to the worlds that they will find in books.
I want them to be able to read books.
So...
In addition to the support that I am raising to go on this trip at all, I am going to be raising additional money to buy books for the children.
The goal is to build a small library in the girls' house. They already have some books, but need more!
We need to first buy a cabinet to be the library and then we will fill it up! With books in Hindi and in English.
Think how much these kids will learn reading and practicing their English!
We need at least $150 to buy a cabinet and then everything beyond that will go towards books.
So here's what I'm going to ask of you...
Can you give me $5 so that I can buy a child a book?
Just $5.
Skip your latte one day and instead help a child learn to read.
And if you are willing, can I ask one more thing from you?
Will you ask your friends to give $5?
I'm going to be asking everyone that I know (sorry if I get annoying haha). I'm going to ask my classmates, my friends, and anyone who will sit still long enough for me to talk to them.
Will you ask your friends? Will you ask the people in your classes (professors typically don't mind if you make an announcement)?
Will you help me?
If you want to donate, there are two ways: 1. Use my PayPal button and 2. Send it straight to the Crosspoint office. The address for Crosspoint is:
Crosspoint of India
3714 Gailyn Drive
Bartlett, Tennessee 38135-9444
Bartlett, Tennessee 38135-9444
Oh! And if you missed this post about the kids at the orphanage and the work that God is doing there, please go read it! I think it got overshadowed by the scarves haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are a love language!!